Monday, November 29, 2010

Memory Lane

Happy Birthday
down
Memory Lane


November 30th Mom will be 83 yrs old. For this birthday I wanted to take her down memory lane. She grew up in Ogden, Utah and it has been a while since I have taken her back up to see where she grew up and to visit the graves of her parents, grandparents, brother, aunts and uncles. I was talking to Anna, one of my clients, asking her what was going on up in Ogden over the Holidays. She told me that they will be having a parade and lighting the Christmas Village on the 27th of November. She also is owner of the Ben Lomond Suites in Ogden. I asked her if she would book us a room, which she kindly did. Shelley, Jim, Brandi, Dan, Lukas and Blair joined us. The hotel was amazing. I would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Ogden.
When we got up to Ogden we did a drive by of all of Mom's memories of Ogden. You will be seeing just a few of the places we went. Starting with the Levitt Cemetery.
This is the Mausoleum that Aunt Aldine and Uncle Leo and her cousin Carol
are buried. Mom was named after Aunt Aldine.

Aunt Aldines burial place


Uncle Pauls grave buried in the snow.
Grandma and Grandpa Pauls is buried here too.
This is the house Grandpa bought during the war. It was built by Uncle Earl
They paid $3500 for it. 2 bedroom, 1 bath full basement home. Yeah for plumbing!

In 1936 the Case family moved into this home at 2147 Robbins Ave.

This is Aunt Aldine's home. It is a beautiful home but I must say the owners need to work on curb appeal. I wish I could have walked through this home. Ogden has some beautiful "old" houses. Kristy lets move to Ogden so we can find us some beautiful old houses!

Mom's High School, Ogden High.

This is the chapel Mom was Baptised in when she was 8.
August 12th, 1936
Also she sang in their Leiber Karntz Choir
They sang all over during World War 2.

Since I am not familar with Ogden we stopped to eat at Denny's. DO NOT eat at this Denny's if you happen to be in Ogden. I must say it was the worst place we could have chosen.





We drove up to Pleasant View to Grandma and Grandpa Case's grave.
It has been many years since Mom and I have been up. It was cold so we didn't stay long. Just long enough to get a picture and put their Christmas wreath on the grave. Everyone else stayed in the car. Jim had to stay and listen to BYU lose to the Utes.

This is the house Mom lived in from age 15 to marriage. There was an outhouse, no indoor plumbing at first. It came later as Grandpa was a carpenter and very handy with tools. They did have electric lights that hung down but no light switches. I'm sure it was hard going from indoor plumbing to none. I know with my travels to Pakistan and Kenya what luxuries these are. Mom had a natural stream right outside her window. How nice it would be to sleep to the sound of water.

This home Grandpa Case built after Mom had gotten married and moved out. It reminds me of the house I would go visit Grandpa Case in SLC. He built that one to. Same color bricks. I wish I would have gotten some of his creations he made. He was so handy with wood. He did lose a few fingers to his saws but his work wouldn't show it. I never met Mom's mother. She passed away when Mom was carrying Greg. Grandpa did remarry Carma but she really wasn't a Grandma....

After dinner we went back to the hotel to watch the parade from Shelley's window. She had a great view from her room. Which was really nice since it was so cold outside. I didn't get any pictures of the parade just a few of the Christmas Village. Here is the Ben Lomond Suites display. I must say this Christmas Village was so cute. I think this might be a yearly thing. I found the displays better then the windows at the old ZCMI center.

The Ghosts of the Ben Lomond came to join us in the picture.
(Not sure what happened but I thought it was pretty cool.)

This was the display window from the Lavish Salon in town.
It was to crowded to get a better picture.

All in All it was a great weekend and I was so glad I could share this with Mom. I saw parts of Ogden I had never seen before and learned more about Mom's growing up.
Happy Birthday Mom!
I love you! You are an awesome Mom and best Friend. I don't know what I would do without you. You have taught me to love and care for people. You bring a spirit to life that noone else can. I am so grateful for the time I have had to live with you. I know you say I am the Mom and you are the Child now. But you have taught me more then I could imagine being your Mom. I am proud to have you as my Mother.



1 comment:

Kristy said...

Happy Birthday, Mom! Wish we could have been with you guys in Ogden. Looks like it was a fun weekend! I'd love an old house, but I don't think your pictures would help Juan want to live where it snows. :)